Kenya is a culturally diverse nation made up of different tribal groups, each with distinct languages, dress, music, and food. Some of the better known tribes include the coastal Swahili people and Maasai warriors in the wildlife rich grasslands.
How many cultures are there in Kenya?
With more than 42 ethnic communities having their own traditional practices and symbols unique to them, this is a task that has proved elusive.
What is considered rude in Kenya?
Kenyans reserve the left hand for unhygienic acts and the right for acts such as eating, touching and passing things to other people. Pointing at another person is considered rude and that goes for beckoning with the palms up, which is considered rude and may be interpreted as you being dismissive.
What is family life like in Kenya?
In Kenya, the family is the most important priority for an individual and is a great source of pride. Most Kenyans expect to eventually marry and raise a family. The family unit in Kenya usually includes the extended family. People will frequently interact with their aunts, uncles and cousins.
What are three interesting facts about Kenya?
10 facts that will make you wild about Kenya
- Close encounters with the Big Five. …
- Hunting is illegal in Kenya. …
- No traffic jams on Lamu Island. …
- You can witness the result of earth splitting force. …
- Breaking world records in running. …
- Kenya is also home to the fastest land animal. …
- The country of languages.
What is Kenya best known for?
Kenya, country in East Africa famed for its scenic landscapes and vast wildlife preserves. Its Indian Ocean coast provided historically important ports by which goods from Arabian and Asian traders have entered the continent for many centuries.
What should I avoid in Kenya?
11 Things Tourists Should Never Do in Kenya
- Never refuse hospitality.
- Do not buy items derived from endangered species.
- Refrain from using foreign currency.
- Do not ask people’s tribe.
- Do not take people’s picture without their consent.
- Watch what you wear.
- Do not carry valuables around.
- Do not explore the city on your own.
Is Kenya Good or bad?
While Kenya is a safe destination compared to some surrounding African countries, there are issues with crime in major cities, and many government travel advisories warn travelers of the threat of terrorism. Check your Government’s travel advice for the latest information.
What can you not take to Kenya?
Prohibited Items: What You Can’t Take into Kenya
- Illegal drugs.
- Guns, explosives, and ammunition – unless you have a relevant written permit.
- Knives and hunting weapons.
- Hazardous materials.
- Meat and meat products.
- Plants and plant products – unless you have a relevant written permit.
- Counterfeit money and goods.
What are the traditions of Kenya?
The country’s 11 percent Muslim population means that Islamic traditions are also observed, mainly near the coast, which had a historically stronger Arab influence.
- East African Arts Festival. …
- Easter. …
- Eid al-Fitr. …
- International Camel Derby and Festival. …
- Mombasa Carnival. …
- Jamhuri Day. …
- Christmas. …
- New Year.
What language is spoken in Kenya?
How is life in Nairobi Kenya?
Day To Day Life as an Expat Living in Nairobi. In Nairobi, expats tend to stick together and build communities. Nairobi is an overwhelming city and traffic is so bad that travelling outside of your area can take hours. There is little in the way of public transport, so you tend to find your part of town and stick to it …
What are interesting facts about Kenya?
Kenya is named after Mt Kenya, the tallest mountain in the country (5,199 metres, 17,057 feet). Kenya gained independence from the United Kingdom in 1963. Hydroelectricity is the largest contributor to Kenya’s electricity supply. Kenya is a developing country and half of the population live in poverty.
What are the good things about Kenya?
17 Reasons Kenya Is the Most Beautiful African Country
- Amazing Wildlife.
- Breathtaking Safaris.
- Amazing Lodges and Camping Sites.
- Luxury Hotels and Resorts.
- The Great Wildebeest Migration.
- Beautiful Plains and Savannah.
- Titanic Mt. Kenya.
- Amazing Weather.
What’s unique about Kenya?
Kenya has surpassed many other African countries simply because of its people. With a rich cultural diversity to ignite humanity, Kenyan people are multifaceted and friendly. … Consisting of different languages and ethnic groups – Kenyan people are diverse and their uniqueness is visibly abundant.