To become a legal sole-proprietor in Uganda, you need to register with the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) to obtain a formal trade name and Tax Identification Number, which are used for recognizing a legal entity.
How do I register a small business in Uganda?
A. How to register a local business
- Search for the business name. …
- Reserve the Business Name. …
- Obtain Certificate of Incorporation. …
- Obtain an Investment License. …
- Obtain a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) …
- Obtain a Trading License. …
- Register with National Social Security Fund (NSSF) …
- Make a Company Seal.
Is registration required for sole proprietorship?
No, Sole Proprietorship Registration is not mandatory. It is optional on whether a person intends to register his sole proprietorship or not. Although, banks insist on getting sole proprietorship registered if you intent to open a bank account in the name of your business, but as per law – it is not mandatory.
How do I register a business name in Uganda?
Registering a Business Name
- Conduct a Search(using the business Registration form) and establish if the name you register is available for use;
- Pay the Registration fees;
- You will receive a certificate of registration of a business name.
Does a sole proprietor need to register with CIPC?
A sole proprietorship is unique because it’s the only business that doesn’t have to register with a state (with CIPC). All other business types – partnerships, limited liability companies, and corporations – must file a registration form with CIPC before they initiate business.
Can I start a business without registering it?
It is entirely legal to operate as a sole proprietorship without registering your company. Keep in mind, however, that doing so does not provide you with any form of legal protection if you experience debt or face legal action.
How much does it cost to register a business in Uganda?
BUSINESS REGISTRATION FEES
|Service||Details||Costs (Ugx. & Us$)|
|Change of particulars||10,000/=|
|Filing Fees||1,000/= per copy|
What is the procedure for registration of sole proprietorship?
Documents Required For A Sole Proprietorship
- Aadhar Card. Aadhar number is now a necessity for applying for any registration in India. …
- PAN Card. You can’t file your income tax return until you get a PAN. …
- Bank Account. …
- Registered Office Proof. …
- Registering as SME. …
- Shop and Establishment Act License. …
- GST Registration.
What are 3 disadvantages of a sole proprietorship?
What are the Disadvantages of Sole Proprietorships?
- Owners are fully liable. If business debts become overwhelming, the individual owner’s finances will be impacted. …
- Self-employment taxes apply to sole proprietorships. …
- Business continuity ends with the death or departure of the owner. …
- Raising capital is difficult.
What are examples of sole proprietorship?
Examples of sole proprietors include small businesses such as, a local grocery store, a local clothes store, an artist, freelance writer, IT consultant, freelance graphic designer, etc.
What is the difference between registering a business name and a company?
A Business name is a registration of a trade name for purposes of business whereas a Company of the incorporation of a separate legal entity to conduct business.
What are the documents required for registration of a company?
The documents for registering a Public Limited Company include identity proof, address proof, and PAN Card of all Directors and shareholders, DIN, DSC, Utility Bill, NOC from the landlord, Memorandum of Association, and Articles of Association.
What is required to register a business in Uganda?
you need to start by Registering your company in Uganda at the Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) and obtain certified copies of the Memorandum and Articles of Association, and a Certificate of Incorporation. To get an investment license you must apply for it using the Uganda Investment Authority Form 1.
Should I register my small business?
Most business of any appreciable size need to be registered with one or more government agencies. The exception is small, one-person business, which can carry out many types of operations, without any formal registration. Small partnerships may not be required to register either.
How do I register my small business with SARS?
Self Employed/Sole Trader or persons in Partnerships need to register for Personal Income Tax (PIT) directly with SARS via SARS eFiling. Whether as a self-employed individual or business, you are required to register your business with SARS, file your tax returns and pay the required taxes on time.
What expenses can a sole proprietor claim?
Financial charges (such as bank fees), utilities. Legal fees. Insurance fees. Marketing, advertising and promotion costs.
1. Day-to-day business expenses
- Rent or mortgage.
- Rates and taxes.
- Repair costs to the premises.