What do I need to know before going to Egypt?
15 Things to Know About Egypt Before You Go
- You’ll need a visa to enter Egypt.
- You’ll need Egyptian currency.
- There’s more to see than the Pyramids.
- Traffic is heavy in Cairo, so allow extra time for your travels.
- Be careful crossing the street in Cairo.
- Despite what you might have heard, Egypt is surprisingly safe in terms of violent crime.
Do and don’ts in Egypt?
Do respect the monuments archaeological sites are human heritage don’t touch scratch or sit on it. Do dress correctly whilst there is no specific dress code in the cities, women will feel more comfortable if they do not wear shorts or have their shoulders uncovered.
What should I avoid in Egypt?
What NOT to do in Egypt
- Don’t… ride a camel at the Pyramids. …
- Do… ride a camel into the desert behind the Pyramids. …
- Don’t… take a guided tour of the West Bank of Luxor. …
- Do… hire bicycles and go your own way. …
- Don’t… climb Mount Sinai for sunrise. …
- Do… climb for sunset instead. …
- Don’t… visit Philae Temple by day. …
What should I pack for a trip to Egypt?
Other Clothing Essentials to Pack for Egypt
- Swimsuit and a cover-up if your hotel has a pool or if you are going to a beach.
- Flip flops for the beach or pool.
- Gym clothes and shoes if your hotel has an exercise facility.
- One pair of underwear per day.
- One pair of socks per day.
What is considered rude in Egypt?
– The left hand is considered unclean in Egypt. Unless you are handling something considered dirty, always use the right hand. Avoid gestures with the left hand. – Pointing is considered extremely rude.
Is English spoken in Egypt?
Languages in Egypt
The most widely spoken language in everyday life in Egypt is actually Egyptian Arabic, with around two thirds of the population fluent. … Nowadays, English is the foreign language most likely to be spoken in Egypt.
Do I have to wear a hijab in Egypt?
As a tourist you aren’t expected to wear a hijab or any other hair covering in Egypt. The only exception to this is if you’re visiting a mosque – in that case, you do indeed need to respect the fact that you’re entering a religious building and cover up. Usually just using a regular scarf to cover your hair will do.
Is drinking allowed in Egypt?
Egypt prohibits the sale and consumption of alcohol in public places or shops, with the exception of hotels and tourist facilities approved by the Minister of Tourism. … Beer is the alcohol of choice in Egypt, amounting to 54 percent of local alcohol consumption.
Can you hold hands in Egypt?
Intimate behaviour in public (kissing and cuddling) is a no-no, and even holding hands is disapproved of. … Whether you are right- or left-handed, the left hand is used for “unclean” functions, such as wiping your bottom or putting on shoes, so it is considered unhygienic to eat with it.
Can unmarried couples stay in hotels in Egypt?
Unmarried couples can share the same room as long as both have Western passports. A Western woman cannot share a room with an Egyptian, whatever the hotel. The only solution is taking two rooms, they won’t check who is sleeping where. … The rules are very strict when Egyptians are involved.
Why is Egypt so dangerous?
Why it’s so dangerous: This country topped the Trip by Skyscanner list of dangerous places, and the U.S. Department of State has issued a stern warning to travelers about going to Egypt: “A number of terrorist groups, including ISIS, have committed multiple deadly attacks in Egypt, targeting government officials and …
Can you wear shorts in Egypt?
There really is no dress code in Egypt for tourists. … This doesn’t mean you can’t wear shorts. In the tourist regions (like Hurghada or Sharm el-Sheikh), on the beach, or in the hotel it is totally acceptable to wear shorts.
Can you wear jeans in Egypt?
You do not need to cover your head in Egypt, but dress modestly. Wear pants or long skirts. Cairo is hot, so loose fitting pants are going to be more comfortable than a pair of skinny jeans. … With the exception of a few souvenir dealers, everyone at these sites is a tourist, and they dress as such.
How should a woman dress in Egypt?
So, the main subject here is what women should wear. Adopting the conservative dress code will hopefully deflect unwanted attention from the Egyptian men, which for most women is desirable. Basic clothes could include loose linen/cotton trousers or a below knee skirt and sleeved blouse.
What language is spoken in Egypt?
Modern Standard Arabic