Seeds for Africa provides vegetable planting guides for specific South African regions here. The main crops to grow in autumn are leafy greens (lettuce, spinach and Swiss chard), root crops (carrots, beetroot and radishes) and the brassica big four – broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and kale.
What vegetables can I plant in autumn in South Africa?
Vegetables: Brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, celery, Chinese cabbage, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, marog, onions, Oriental greens, parsnips, peas, radish, spinach, Swiss chard and turnips. Mid Autumn sow Beetroot and Asian Greens.
What plants can I plant now in South Africa?
The best vegetables to grow in Winter in South Africa
- Green onions. In case you are wondering about what vegetables to plant in winter in South Africa, why not start with onions. …
- Garlic. Garlic is one of the easiest to plant winter vegetables. …
- Peas. Green pea is one of the most nutritious spring vegetables that your farm can ever bear. …
- Spring onions. …
- Perpetual spinach.
What crops can I plant in autumn?
Top 10 Vegetables to Grow Over Winter
- Onions and Shallots. Autumn planting onion sets are easy to grow and will virtually look after themselves over winter. …
- Garlic. Growing garlic couldn’t be easier and there are lots of varieties to choose from for autumn planting. …
- Spring Onions. …
- Perpetual Spinach. …
- Broad Beans. …
- Peas. …
- Asparagus. …
- Winter Salads.
Which flowers can I plant in autumn?
Autumn Flowering Bulbs
- Crocus. Crocuses are some of the best known of the autumn bulbs for the garden. …
- Dahlia. …
- Nerine. …
- Sternbergia. …
- Cyclamen hederifolium. …
- Gladiolus murielae. …
What is the most profitable crop in South Africa?
Macadamia nuts are hard to beat when it comes to the most lucrative crop per land area used in South Africa. According to statistics from the SA Macadamia Growers’ Association (Samac), the average export price for macadamia kernels in 2017 was R224.
What herbs can be planted in autumn?
Sage, thyme, lavender, borage, chives and rosemary all like full sun. Mint, basil and parsley prefer afternoon share or light, overhead shade all day. In the tropics, treat oregano, marjoram and rosemary as annuals. Plant them in autumn and remove them before the onslaught of summer heat and humidity.
What flowers can I plant all year round?
Plants that look good all year
- Heart-shaped, purple leaves of the redbud.
- Masses of fiery-coloured ‘Red Sentinel’ crab apples.
- White, star-shaped flowers of snowy mespilus.
- Small, white flowers and blood red berries of ‘Dart’s Red Robin’ viburnum.
- White, bell-shaped flowers on a blueberry bush.
- White hydrangea blooms.
Which vegetables are in high demand in South Africa?
Soilless cultivation of lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers has recently gained popularity in South Africa because of improved yield and quality. The majority of vegetables in South Africa are grown in open field systems while a small amount are produced under protection, e.g. shadenet houses and greenhouses.
What seed can I plant now?
- Organic Bean Seeds.
- Organic Beet Seeds.
- Organic Broccoli Seeds.
- Organic Cabbage Seeds.
- Organic Carrot Seeds.
- Organic Cauliflower Seeds.
- Organic Celery Seeds.
- Organic Corn Seed.
What fruit grows in autumn?
What’s in season in autumn (September to November)?
- Butternut squash.
- Brussels sprouts.
- Cabbage (savoy and spring green)
What can you plant in autumn and winter?
Autumn and Winter vegetables to plant
- Asian Greens.
- Chinese Cabbage.
What vegetables grow in fall and winter?
19 Crops You Should Try Growing This Fall or Winter
- Brussels Sprouts.
- Green Onions.
- Leafy Lettuces.