From north to south — from the Sahara to the humid southern coast — West Africa can be subdivided into five broad east-west belts that characterize the climate and the vegetation. These are the bioclimatic zones known as the Saharan, Sahelian, Sudanian, Guinean, and Guineo-Congolian Regions, shown in the map above.
What are the 4 geographical regions of Africa?
Geographic regions in Africa
- Four regions: North Africa, West Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa.
- Five regions: North Africa, West Africa, Central Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa.
- Six regions: North Africa, West Africa, Central Africa, North East Africa, East Africa, Southern Africa.
What are the geographic regions of West Africa?
Western Africa, region of the western African continent comprising the countries of Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
What are some major geographical features in West Africa?
The main physical features include the Sahara Desert and the Niger River. The Cameroon Highlands are located on the eastern border between Nigeria and Cameroon. At 4,100 miles long, the Nile River is the longest, while the Congo River is Africa’s second longest at 2,922 miles in length.
What are the major geographic regions in Africa?
Africa has eight major physical regions: the Sahara, the Sahel, the Ethiopian Highlands, the savanna, the Swahili Coast, the rain forest, the African Great Lakes, and Southern Africa.
Which is the wealthiest region of Africa?
TOP 10 RICHEST AFRICAN COUNTRIES IN 2020 RANKED BY GDP & PRIMARY EXPORTS
- 1 | NIGERIA – THE RICHEST COUNTRY IN AFRICA (GDP: $446.543 Billion) …
- 2 | SOUTH AFRICA (GDP: $358.839 Billion) …
- 3 | EGYPT (GDP: $302.256 Billion) …
- 4 | ALGERIA (GDP: $172.781 Billion) …
- 5 | MOROCCO (GDP: $119,04 Billion) …
- 6 | KENYA (GDP: $99,246 Billion)
What are the 10 largest nations in Africa?
Here is a list of the top ten largest countries in square miles:
- Sudan (728,022 square miles)
- Libya (679,192 square miles)
- Chad (495,624 square miles)
- Niger (489,062 square miles)
- Angola (481,226 square miles)
- Mali (478,714 square miles)
- South Africa (47,320 square miles)
- Ethiopia (426, 260 square miles)
Which country is the best in West Africa?
Despite being the smallest country in Africa, The Gambia is regarded as West Africa’s best-kept secret. Surrounded by golden beaches backed by swaying palms sprinkled with scenic lagoons, an abundance of wildlife, vibrant history and culture, it offers visitors an opportunity to get in touch with nature.
What are the 5 regions of Africa?
The UN Statistics Division has subdivided the African continent into five regions, Northern Africa, Central or Middle Africa , Southern Africa, East Africa, and Western Africa.
What are the 16 West African countries?
The West Africa UN subregion includes the following countries:Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte D’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo .
What makes West Africa unique?
Nowhere in the world has been blessed with the same kind of natural beauty and diversity as West Africa. Within a short distance of one another, and often even within the same country, you can find glorious coastline, wild jungles, epic waterways, endless savannahs, dessert and towering mountains.
Why is the geography unique in West Africa?
Western Africa has a huge amount of unique geographical features. … In the southern part of the region, the geography of the land turns into high savanna grasslands. The north part of the region is a transitional zone to make way for the Sahara Desert. Water in the northern part of West Africa is very rare.
Which country is the largest in West Africa?
Chad, Mali, Mauritania and the Niger are by far the largest countries of West Africa, with a total land area accounting for almost 65 percent of the subregion, although mostly desert. Indeed, the whole forest cover of these four countries represents only 6 percent of their total land area.
What are 3 major geographical features?
Mountains, hills, plateaus, and plains are the four major types of landforms. Minor landforms include buttes, canyons, valleys, and basins. Tectonic plate movement under the Earth can create landforms by pushing up mountains and hills.
What is the biggest desert in Africa?
The Sahara is the world’s largest desert; it extends across most of the northern part of Africa.
What are 3 physical features?
Landforms & Physical Features
- Geography Landforms & Physical Features. Our Earth is made up of a many different types of landforms. …
- Mountains. Mountains are large, tall, and elevated land areas on the earth’s surface that rise abruptly from the surrounding land area. …
- Plains. …
- Plateaus. …
- Mesas. …
- Buttes. …
- Deserts. …