If you are going to be making a lot of local calls or don’t feel like you need to have your regular phone number, getting a local “pay as you go” SIM card is often the most cost-effective option for local and international calls when traveling in Africa.
What should I do with my phone when traveling internationally?
Here are your easiest options.
- Put your phone in airplane mode. Only use it (besides features such as the camera) when you can connect to Wi-Fi. …
- Get an international plan. Every phone carrier offers its customers international plans, which vary. …
- Buy a prepaid SIM card.
Will American phone work in Africa?
Likely, yes. Most, if not all of the T-Mo phones I’ve owned / purchased in the US work on SA’s networks. So, if it is SIM unlocked, you could theoretically, pop in a SA SIM and it would work. But, note, there are pay-go data plans for SA SIMs, you really don’t want (need) it, you just want a phone.
Which smartphone can be used internationally?
7 Best Mobile Phones for Travelers
- iPhone 11. Rejoice, Apple lovers. …
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus. This powerful, premium Android phone is the newest addition to Samsung’s Note line and features a giant screen measuring a whopping 6.8 inches. …
- Google Pixel 3a. …
- OnePlus 7 Pro. …
- Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. …
- Moto G7 Power. …
- Alcatel 1X.
Can I use my phone in another country?
Yes, you can use an unlocked GSM handset when you’re traveling abroad. Simply put in a SIM card from a local carrier to make inexpensive local phone calls while you’re in-country as well as cheap texting to other cell phones also in the same country in which you’re traveling.
How do I know if my phone works internationally?
Be sure you have an Unlocked GSM phone
- Ask your operator. Call your current operator’s customer support and explain you want to use your phone overseas. …
- Try another SIM. Place a SIM from another operator in your phone and see if the phone recognizes the other operator’s network.
- Check your IMEI.
How can I use my phone without international charges?
Even if you decide to get a local SIM card, these tips will help you out by saving data abroad.
- Turn off roaming. This stops cellular data use so you won’t be paying extra for a plan you don’t have. …
- Stop apps from sucking your data in the background. …
- Turn off automatic downloads. …
- Track cellular usage.
Is there cell service in Africa?
Cell phones today are nearly ubiquitous in African society. Teenagers and young adults are obsessed by them, carrying them around everywhere. The World Bank and African Development Bank report there are 650 million mobile users in Africa, surpassing the number in the United States or Europe.
Will an iPhone bought in America work in South Africa?
Answer: A: Answer: A: Yes, if you buy an unlocked phone directly from the Apple store, then it will work. However, firstly the 4G/LTE frequencies will not be the same, so you may be unable to receive a 4G service in South Africa on a US purchased iPhone.
Can I use my phone in South Africa?
Mobile operators in South Africa work on GSM networks. If your phone is not compatible with a GSM network, you need a new handset once you arrive. … Before you can use a South African SIM card, you will also need to have an unlocked phone.
Can prepaid phones be used internationally?
Most, but not all prepay plans allow the use of any unlocked phone that is compatible with the carrier’s network; … Prepay plans are usually much more expensive when roaming overseas. The exception is T-Mobile, which probably has the best rate structure in the U.S. of any cellular provider.
Can I use my SIM card in another country?
An International SIM card can be used worldwide. It allows you to switch between an American number (even the one you already have) and foreign numbers so the people you’re communicating with don’t have to pay extra to call or text you, regardless of where they are and what country you happen to be in at the moment.
What is an international smartphone?
International Version means it was not made for the U.S. market. Often they will work in the U.S. with compatible networks. You need to make sure before you purchase one.
Do I need to unlock my phone to use overseas?
In order to use temporary SIM cards abroad, you’ll need to “unlock” your phone first. … Once a phone is “unlocked,” it no longer needs to be used with a specific carrier. That means when you travel abroad, you can buy a SIM card from any company, pop it in, and your phone will work.
How do I turn on international roaming?
How to Activate International Roaming on Android Phones
- Tap “Settings.”
- Click “Connections.”
- Select “Mobile networks.”
- Switch on “Data roaming.”